Friday, January 4, 2008

Falling 47 stories and living to talk about it

If I weren't a praying person, I'd be one if I were in this guys shoes! Alcides Moreno fell close to 500 ft (47 stories) and from what I read in the story below, he's going to be fine. I'll let you read the story to see the condition he was in as a result of the fall, and the miraculous condition he's in now. Sadly, the fall killed his brother.

We have all read about quirky things like this. Horrible car accidents where someone walks away with barely a scratch. Accidents with unbelievable survival stories.

My ex-husband was involved in something like that many years back. He was in the passenger seat when a tire blew, the car spun out and hit concrete pillars. The driver, not wearing a seat belt, was thrown through the BACK window of the car. He had a few minor scrapes. a headache that passed, and a not-too-badly broken arm.

My ex lived, but barely and with life-time serious damage. It was a miracle that he lived at all, but the driver is the one who I'd put in the miracle category.

One thing that I noted when I saw the car was that if the driver had NOT been ousted from the driver's seat, neither would have survived. The only un-squashed part of the auto was the driver's seat space. My ex was pushed from the passenger seat into the driver's area, breaking the gear shift when he did (which gives you an idea of the force involved... they were on the express-way going over the speed limit as usual for the pair).

I don't know what happened to the driver. I don't know if he changed his ways, felt that he'd been spared for a reason or whether he just went on his merry way as normal. We completely lost touch afterwards, and while all the recovery was going on I didn't try to talk with him. None of the thoughts I'm expressing now were on my mind as my ex went through his trauma.

Life throws some kickers at you sometimes. Whether it's the result of a miraculous happening like the one our 47-story falling guy lived through, surviving a car accident or some other large or small trauma, it's never a bad idea to take stock and think about the miracle of life and existence.

NYC Window Washer Who Fell 47 Stories Awake, Talking
New York — Doctors say they have never seen anything like it: A window washer who fell 47 stories from the roof of a Manhattan skyscraper is now awake, talking to his family and expected to walk again. Alcides Moreno, 37, plummeted almost 500 feet in a Dec. 7 scaffolding collapse that killed his brother.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,319991,00.html

No comments:

Disclaimer

I am not a doctor or a medical professional. If you choose to do some of the things I blog about please do your research, talk to your doctor or someone who knows more than I before implementing things.