Friday, April 18, 2008

Second Rant of the Day...

I just finished a rant against Bill Maher and his comments on the Pope and Catholics in one of my other blogs, Toxic Treadmill. You can pop over there and read it if you'd like (I'm not Catholic Bill Maher). In Ramblin' Jan I'm going to talk about another aspect of Maher's rant.

There are many who heard his comments and they said, "I'm not Catholic", big deal. Maybe you're one of those who thinks it's kind of silly to revere the Pope, or you don't like Catholics, or you simply don't care one way or another.

As I was writing "I'm not Catholic Bill Maher" this morning an old poem that is still relevant kept flashing through my mind:

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

We have a tendency to go about our daily lives feeling like we're isolated from all the things that are going on in other cities, states, countries. We get up in the morning, get the kids off to school, go to work, run ourselves ragged and fall into bed at night. It's tough to care or maybe even pay attention to what's going on outside our little cocoon. We hear something like Maher's trashing of the Pope and shrug our shoulders - we're not Catholic.

But we need to be paying attention. Our children's future is being shaped today and the Maher's of the world have a much bigger voice than you and I unless we start acting instead of talking.

The phrase "death by a million cuts" comes to mind. We as Christians are being cut day after day in today's society. Some day we're going to wake up and freedom of religion is going to be a thing of the past if we can't find time to take a stand on issues, write, comment and stop watching shows that assail our values.

It's not just Christianity that is under major assault, it's the very fiber of this country and what we stand on and for. It shouldn't matter what religion you claim, Christian or otherwise, or whether you claim a religion at all. If you are a person with values who cares about the future of our world, this type disparaging of others should evoke a response. Maher has the freedom to speak his mind and believe what he believes, but I also have the freedom to turn him off and speak my mind in opposition. So do you.

Somehow it's become cool to trash God. It's become cool to be disrespectful, to flip a finger at tradition. In the scheme of things, Maher's comments aren't even a blip. However, he's not the only one who's actively undermining religion and values. As said, we're suffering a death of a million cuts.

It's an easy to act on this one. Send an email to HBO, let them know if you're not a Catholic, let them know you're ditching HBO unless they ditch Maher.

Here's the entire Maher clip (you've only been treated to a tiny bit on the news):

No comments: