Saturday, March 12, 2011

Thermography vs Mammogram

I'm going Monday to a local clinic to have a thermography scan. I'm working on the terminology, this is all pretty new to me!

I've been overdue for a mammogram and have been putting it off, putting it off, and putting it off. Did I say putting it off? Oh, man, do I hate those things. I'm one of the unfortunate few who always gets called back to have a second scan. It's bad enough having them mash your boobs once, but to sit there in the waiting room still wincing from the pain of the first one knowing you're getting ready to do it again is about as much fun as... well, can't think of anything to compare.

I got into a conversation with a friend who works with breast cancer survivors. She convinced me I should get my butt (and breasts) in to get a mammogram. A couple of other girlfriends joined the conversation and we started sharing horror tales about the process. Yes, it's true. If you lay on the ground and have a car roll over your breasts it's good prep for this procedure.

Smashing them in a refrigerator door will also help prepare for the pain. I'm sure you've seen the many cartoons and jokes, just like I have. Problem is, they're not really funny when they're true!

So, the breast cancer friend suggested we try thermography. I'd heard a bit about it, but figured it was probably expensive and that insurance wouldn't cover it. I called and asked and learned that no, most insurances won't cover the scans. There is one that will do it, but you pay extra so it's probably less expensive just to pay for the scan out of pocket.

I'm getting ready to go do some research. I have an appointment Monday morning at Health Concepts in Fayetteville, GA. The cost for the torso scan is $175. Then you're supposed to do a follow up in around 3 months for $150 to establish a baseline. Then it's $150 a year for a scan.

I heard there's a clinic in Peachtree City that also does scans. I'm going to track them down and compare pricing. I'm willing to drive a bit to save some money!

I'm also out doing research on the procedure itself. If they find something I know I'll then need to schedule a mammogram so I can get under my insurance and go the doctor route. Of course, I'm hoping they won't find anything!

I'm going to end this, go do my research and will share more with you later on what I find.

No comments:

Disclaimer

I am not a doctor or a medical professional. If you choose to do some of the things I blog about please do your research, talk to your doctor or someone who knows more than I before implementing things.