Monday, January 19, 2015

Disapointed in Van's Foods...

It's getting harder and harder to find things that don't have cane sugar, dextrose, corn syrup, or some other really bad-for-you sweetener. One of my no-sugar faves has been Van's Foods gluten-free waffles. They had three that were fruit juice sweetened. The regular, the blueberry and the apple cinnamon.

Not only were they gluten-free, sugar-free (fruit juice only), they were and are dairy free, egg free, non-gmo and a whole bunch of other great things. The perfect treat. 

I didn't pay attention.

They changed the blueberry at some point and now they are cane sugar sweetened. Yuck. I have two boxes I'll have to toss in the trash.

Realizing they'd changed their package had me label-reading again. I discovered that the couple of Classico spaghetti sauces I usually picked up had also changed and now had sugar. They were great without it.

I guess it's just getting to the point in our America that if it isn't sweetened with sugar it isn't going to sell.

I don't think a little bit of sugar is horrible for someone. But when every single thing that's stocked on grocery --- and health food --- stores these days has sugar there is no such thing as a 'little bit of sugar'.

Have you seen the stats on children and diabetes? Have you seen the stats on overweight and obese children? I know I'm on a soapbox and most are walking by shaking their heads, but I'm gonna stay on it and maybe a few will go out and do a tiny bit of research, think about what is being pounded into our heads by non-stop advertising.

I wonder why so many of our so-called health foods are chocked full of sugar?

I think it's getting ready to be a hot-button issue. I sure hope it will be.

No comments: