Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Vitamin C is just vitamin C, right? Updated 1/2/2020

We've all heard about needing vitamin C, how it is in fruits and veggies, how it is good to take when you're ill, and many other great things about its value. I'm betting that most of us take it either alone or in a multi-vitamin. 

As always, foods are the best way to get any vitamin or mineral but most of us don't eat enough, or eat right, to get everything we need. And sometimes we're battling issues where an extra bump is needed either temporarily or ongoing. There are tons of ways to add some extras to your foods (that'll be another blog, of course :-)).

When buying Vitamin C in supplement form, if you're like me, you opted for a well-known label and thought nothing more about it. Knowing it's water soluble and that your body uses what it needs and flushes the rest you may have opted for time release or small dosages to take throughout the day. 

A while back I picked up some powder form by NOW at Sprouts and have been adding it to my smoothies (doing whatever I can to decrease the number of pills I take!). I have never given it a second thought. I just finished off the large bottle and, coincidentally, came across a short blurb about vitamin C that spurred me to look into it a bit more.

Can NOTHING be simple? :-) 

It turns out that there are a variety of types, some absorb better than others and...and...and... In looking into Vitamin C I also found that it does much more than I thought! Who knew it was good for your memory? 

First the types, then the benefits.

Types

Ascorbic Acid

Synthetically made but identical to natural C. It's also the cheapest. Acidic and causes some to have stomach issues due to the acidity. From what I've read it is derived from fermented GMO corn...thus I would not be an advocate of using this one.

There are a number of mineral ascorbates that SOME say are less troublesome to those with gastrointestinal issues. They are considered "buffered". However, you need to look at the max daily (or cumulative) dosage for the mineral, especially if you are taking multi vitamins or take the minerals individually.

- Calcium Ascorbate (may be good for bone health but there's some debate about calcium so do some research),
- Magnesium Ascorbate (good for leg cramps, pooping regularly and other things),
- Sodium Ascorbate (be careful with this one if you have salt issues, high blood pressure - 1,000 mg of sodium ascorbate contains roughly 111 mg of sodium).
- Potassium Ascorbate
- Zinc Ascorbate
- Manganese Ascorbate
- Molybdenum Ascorbate
-
Chromium Ascorbate

I probably missed a few...the list is long.

Studies have shown that there doesn't seem to be any clinical difference between the synthetic and natural and both are equally bioavailable. Yours truly thinks natural, "real" is always better.

Ascorbate and Vitamin C Metabolites -  

Ester-C is patented calcium-ascorbate with a bit of calcium threonate, xylonate, lyxonate, and dehydroascorbic acid. The maker claims it had higher absorption rates into the blood but a 2008 study showed equal amounts with regular Vitamin C. However, there was a higher concentration in the white blood cells.

Vitamin C with Bioflavonoids (antioxidants; polyphenolic compounds found in plants)

One study showed it had a 35% higher absorption rate than regular ascorbic acid. However there are numerous studies that show no difference. Purportedly easier on the digestion system also. Again, there are those who disagree with that statement. I suppose it is up to you to discover whether it's true or not for your particular stomach!

Liposomal Vitamin C

It has a fat-soluble coating that increases absorption. Saw a number of studies showing increases in absorption.

Ascorbyl Palmitate

Typically this one is used in skin creams, lotions, etc. as it is absorbed better. The formulation makes it fat soluble rather than water soluble. I've read quite a bit about Vitamin C being great for our skin and use a cream that includes it. I'll be checking to see which Vitamin C is used after I finish this post! This type is also used to preserve food.

Vitamin C with Rose Hips (the fruit of the rose plant)

Rose hips are high in Vitamin C and numerous other antioxidants and is easily absorbed. Typically they combine synthetic ascorbic acid with rose hips.

D-Isoascorbic acid (Erythorbic acid)

Used as a food antioxidant in the United States.

Ascorbyl palmitate

Used to increase the shelf-life of things with vegetable oils like chips, etc.

The benefits of Vitamin C

  • Increases iron absorption
  • Helps improve memory
  • Supports the immune system
  • Helps with periodontal health
  • Helps to prevent colds & respiratory problems
  • Good for heart health
  • Helps to prevent seizures
  • Helps to prevent blood infections
  • Great for skin
  • Supports the formation of collagen and L-carnitine
  • Has been shown to slightly lower blood pressure
  • Helps reduce the chances of getting gout

Who should take Vitamin C?

Well, I'm definitely not a doctor or trained practitioner but unless you're eating a good supply of veggies and fruits I'd posit that most of us need extra. Especially if you smoke, are stressed, bruise easily, have toxin issues like exposure to mercury (fillings in teeth?) and lead, live in areas with higher pollution, have joint pain or bleeding gums.

The type I'm going to look for (and will update this blog as I find)

- ones made from natural foods like camu-camu, acerola berry, orange peel, and/or rosehips

Things to watch out for when choosing a Vitamin C supplement

They love to put cheap fillers in vitamins, especially the chewable, that, in my opinion, negate the benefits. Sugar, sucralose, stearic acid, natural flavors, artificial flavors and colors, carageenan, vegetable magnesium stearate, rice powder (if you're on a low-carb diet) are ingredients that would have me putting it back on the shelf. You may pay more for quality but it's not really paying more if you're getting something that works AND doesn't have crap in it that will hurt you. 

There are other things I watch out for when buying vitamin supplements that may not be an issue with Vitamin C supplements. I'll let you know if I find them as I wander around on-line looking for a good Vitamin C. Right now I'm leaning toward buying either camu-camu or acerola powder. It looks pricey at first glance but when I cost it out it seems to be very reasonable.

What dosage?

Generally, from what I've read, it's safe up to around 3,000 mg a day. After that you'll probably be sitting on the toilet regretting those high doses. However, if you break it up throughout the day even higher doses can be tolerated without diarrhea. 

2,000 mg per day is what seems to be the general consensus on dosage that I ran across for prevention of gout, decreasing blood pressure, fighting infections. However, if you consistently take high doses it may increase your chances of getting cataracts and some say cause kidney stones. Conversely, studies have shown that Vitamin C helps to prevent cataracts. Balance. It's always about balance.

The "official" recommended minimum daily range is between 65 and 90 mg with smokers needing an addition 35 mg. Per ConsumerLab.com (where I do a lot of research; paid site) the dosage between 50 and 100 mg is "sufficient for most adults". 

The recommended dosages are set for the minimum requirements to live. You know how you eat, what you eat...if you're eating a lot of fresh organic veggies you're probably good to go without supplementation unless you've been exposed to some nasty virus or illness, or you feel yourself fighting something, or you're stressed, or you don't exercise, or you live with any kind of pollution, or if you are exposed to toxins, mold...or...or... OK, OK, take a supplement when in those situations! :-)

I'm an advocate of breaking it up through the day no matter what dose you take. That's one of the reasons I switched to adding a powdered Vitamin C to my smoothie or daily drink. I mix a large bottle in the morning with my C and other powders and drink it all day, adding water or herbal tea or ice to keep it fresh and filled. 

Little tidbits of interest

One study found that only 50% of time released Vitamin C was absorbed, another found that the slow release was equal to taking small doses. Could be some formulas are better than others?  

Vitamin C increases your bodies ability to absorb iron. (Personal note: I learned last year that I have a condition where I have high iron in my blood. Supposedly, from the research I did, the only way to get rid of the excess iron is to donate blood. I need to do a bit more research on it and, given the increased absorption rate with Vitamin C, may need to back away from taking it as a supplement. I do know that excess iron in your system can cause some not-so-good health issues.)

Your body can't manufacture Vitamin C so you have to get it in your foods or as a supplement

Vitamin C helps your body produce collagen

More info (and where I got some of my info):

https://www.iherb.com/blog/vitamin-c-forms/994

https://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/vitamins/vitamin-C/supplemental-forms

https://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/vitamins/vitamin-C/supplemental-forms

https://modernalternativemama.com/2015/10/19/how-to-choose-the-best-type-of-vitamin-c/

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/blog/lindsey/benefits-of-vitamin-c-and-vitamin-c-types

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminC-HealthProfessional/

No comments:

Disclaimer

I am not a doctor or a medical professional. If you choose to do some of the things I blog about please do your research, talk to your doctor or someone who knows more than I before implementing things.