Friday, February 14, 2020

Promising? Nutritional Intervention to Prevent Alzheimer's Disease: Potential Benefits of Xanthophyll Carotenoids and Omega-3 Fatty Acids Combined

"This preliminary report suggests positive outcomes for patients with AD who consumed a combination of xanthophyll carotenoids plus fish oil, but further study is required to confirm this important observation."

So...I'm taking lutein and zeaxanthin plus Omega-3s for a variety of reasons. I have been taking lutein and zeaxanthin for my eyes. I have the macular degeneration gene, my grandmother had it and my mother thinks she may be starting down the path. I pushed her today to get an eye appointment so she can check to see. There are things they can do to slow macular degeneration if she does have it.

Coincidentally I first decided to take lutein and zeaxanthin after listening to a program on the radio while driving to my parents to help out with my mom. The program took me the majority of the way to their house. A couple of mainstream practicing ophthalmology docs talked about the benefits for the eyes. Bottom line said it was proven by a number of studies to actually work. Mom takes the combo for her eyes also.

It was hard finding one that didn't include vitamin E. I have a gene that indicates I probably shouldn't take supplemental E...which is nearly impossible since they slap it in almost every supplement and/or food. But I try! I have found since I started inputting my diet and supplements into Cronometer each day, that I'm getting more than enough E without adding more.

I am temporarily taking Jarrow Formula Lutein (20mg Lutein, 4mg Zeaxanthin). I was taking Peak Performance's All Natural Eye Support but the brand is on that huge recall list I posted the other day.

Sadly the Jarrow formula has "Sunflower oil, beeswax and natural mixed tocopherols (added to maintain freshness). Softgel consists of bovine gelatin, glycerin and purified water." Sunflower oil is a cheap, crappy oil high in Omega 6's. Tocopherols = Vitamin E.  I always get vegan capsules, except with this one --- temporarily.

On the hunt for another that doesn't have bovine, sunflower oil and tocopherols. The Peak Performance brand had great ingredients on the label but I can't trust them currently due to the recall.

Two links follow. First one is simply the abstract. The second is the full study but it's a document and am not sure the link will allow you to pull it up (it lets me so I "assume" anyone can :-)). If it doesn't work, pop in the full title below and do a search, you'll find it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29945352
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0098/4960/2127/files/JAD-Paper.pdf?11668

Nutritional Intervention to Prevent Alzheimer's Disease: Potential Benefitsof Xanthophyll Carotenoids and Omega-3 Fatty Acids CombinedAbstract

BACKGROUND:
A growing body of scientific evidence suggests that enrichment of certain nutritional compounds in the brain may reduce the risk of Alzheimer's disease (AD).

OBJECTIVE:
To investigate the impact of supplemental xanthophyll carotenoids plus omega-3 fatty acids on disease progression in patients with AD.

METHODS:
Three trial experiments were performed. In Trials 1 and 2 (performed on patients with AD over an 18-month period), 12 patients (AD status at baseline: 4 mild and 8 moderate) were supplemented with a xanthophyll carotenoid only formulation (Formulation 1; lutein:meso-zeaxanthin:zeaxanthin 10:10:2 mg/day) and 13 patients (AD status at baseline: 2 mild, 10 moderate, and 1 severe) were supplemented with a xanthophyll carotenoid and fish oil combination (Formulation 2; lutein:meso-zeaxanthin:zeaxanthin 10:10:2 mg/day plus 1 g/day of fish oil containing 430 mg docohexaenoic acid [DHA] and 90 mg eicopentaenoic acid [EPA]), respectively. In Trial 3, 15 subjects free of AD (the control group) were supplemented for 6 months with Formulation 1. Blood xanthophyll carotenoid response was measured in all trials by HPLC. Omega-3 fatty acids were profiled by direct infusion mass spectrometry.

RESULTS:
Xanthophyll carotenoid concentration increases were significantly greater for Formulation 2 compared to Formulation 1 (p < 0.05), and progression of AD was less for this group (p = 0.003), with carers reporting functional benefits in memory, sight, and mood.

CONCLUSION:
This preliminary report suggests positive outcomes for patients with AD who consumed a combination of xanthophyll carotenoids plus fish oil, but further study is required to confirm this important observation.

KEYWORDS:
Alzheimer’s disease; DHA; dementia; fatty acids; lutein; meso-zeaxanthin; nutrition; omega-3; prevention; xanthophyll carotenoids

No comments:

Disclaimer

I am not a doctor or a medical professional. If you choose to do some of the things I blog about please do your research, talk to your doctor or someone who knows more than I before implementing things.