Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Updated 3/1/20 - What is working when it comes to fighting Alzheimer's Disease and other dementias?

Pretty much the only things currently having any kind of an impact long-term on the fight against Alzheimer's Disease (AD) and other forms of dementia all come from the functional side of the medical world.

That's not to say that when caught early the traditional treatments don't always fail. Sometimes, when combined with increased physical exercise, dietary changes and maybe some supplements, early intervention works and continues to work.

Sadly, most people don't talk to their doctors about failing memory until they are past the point of current traditional, mainstream medical treatments working to keep AD at bay. I have personal experience with that silence. Those close to this individual kept everyone in the dark, although to be honest we kind of noticed some signs, just didn't pick up on them as we don't see them except in short doses for holidays. The Bredesen Protocol (see other posts, plus some of my pages linked below the header) could have worked for her but they are no longer following. Long story on that one. Sad, makes me so sad, wakes me up at night thinking about what they are facing.

Anywaze...onto brighter thoughts. Oh, wait, no...the next part deals with the current status of treatments for dementias. Not good news.

Quotes from a variety of articles on the current status of "traditional" treatments (click the quote to read the entire article):

Great article highlighting the general things we can do to help PREVENT dementia:

https://bewell.stanford.edu/boosting-brain-health/ 

I could have posted a thousand similar quotes. Almost every article has statements of hope about future treatments...but it's almost like they're tossing a tiny bone at the readers or maybe trying to give themselves hope. If you read my blogs, the comments I post on the pages (links above), you know I think they are barking up the wrong tree by focusing on amyloid plaques.

Now for some positive news!

However, we DO have current treatments that are working and have been working. They don't involve drugs and are multi-pronged so there's no money for grants, aside from some small ones for small groups. Also, most doctors have a tendency to look down their noses at what falls under the "functional medicine" heading. Even if their patients ignore their traditional advice and drugs and opt to change their diets, lose weight, exercise, take supplements --- and improve, get better.

I'm a prime example. I had high cholesterol. I balked at taking drugs. My doctor "allowed" me 2 months, which she "graciously" extended to three for me to try and decrease it with exercise and diet. I'll admit, I didn't do much research at the time, upped my exercise routine...and failed. She scared me sufficiently into starting to take the meds. She told me it was hereditary and I just had the gene, was stuck.

A bit later I made some serious changes to my diet. I went gluten-free (before it was a "thing"), took sugar out of my diet and then eventually moved to a plant-based diet. I was vegetarian initially. My cholesterol numbers dropped, I got off the meds...and got off my acid reflux medicine (which another doc said I'd be on for the rest of my life or risk esophageal cancer...they do like to scare one!).

If you're interested in HOPE as opposed to depressing news, a feeling of doom because you have a family history of dementia or Parkinson's, have been diagnosed with MCI (mild cognitive impairment), have found you have one or two APOE4 genes or have a family member dealing with Alzheimer's Disease take a look at the APOE4.info forum --- over 3,500 people who are focused on keeping dementia at bay. There are great success stories. There are many who are discovering the site and taking control of their health daily. You can also find some excellent Facebook groups.

NOTE: Many or most of the following docs see a role for traditional drugs and treatment, they just know that it's a much bigger picture. I agree. I think there is a place for drugs and applaud our great physicians who do a great job. I just think we have a personal responsibility to do our own research, do more than just pop a pill...

Pick up or check out one or all of the following books:
Dr. Dale Bredesen - An End to Alzheimer's
David Perlmutter - Grain Brain
Steven Gundry - The Plant Paradox
Amy Myers - The Thyroid Connection
Terry Wahls - The Wahls Protocol

Or check into Zack Bush, Mark Hyman, Stephen Phinney, Jeff Volek, Valter Longo, Jason Fung, Dave Asprey, Ivor Cummings, Sachi Panda, Rhonda Patrick, Peter Attia. (No particular order of preference and you'll like some, not like others!).

No comments:

Disclaimer

I am not a doctor or a medical professional. If you choose to do some of the things I blog about please do your research, talk to your doctor or someone who knows more than I before implementing things.